Monday, April 25, 2011

Container Molding

After seeing some companies that are successfully, profitably turning sugar cane bagasse into disposable tableware and food-containers I decided to expand my experimenting to include food containers. After separating and sifting the bagasse into four different consistencies I made two sample molds by pouring plaster into existing plastic and metal food containers. I mixed the finer portions of the bagasse with wood glue (the most reliable, dissolvable adhesive I've tested) and pressed the mixture over the mold evenly. I then covered each of the molds with a thin negative mold and vacuum-bagged them to provide strong, even clamping pressure as the glue sets. As I had a very difficult time applying the mixture evenly and thinly I am skeptical that the result will look or feel like the containers I am trying to mimic but I will see when they come out tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment